Fabric vs Vinyl Banners
A common question is whether to order a vinyl or fabric banner or backdrop, what the pros and cons of each?
Oh my Print Solutions specializes and recommends polyester fabric banners quite a bit, as we feel they are of higher quality, classier and easy to transport. We also provide some of the lowest prices in the industry for fabric, which contributes to it being a top seller for us.
However, sometimes vinyl is a better application. Here are some pros and cons…
- Vinyl Banners are durable.
- Can be used outdoors, even in the rain.
- Can last up to 1 year outdoor without beginning to fade.
- You can choose UV Protect to last 3 to 5 years, this is not available with fabric.
- Bright vibrant colours.
- Can be completely opaque. Below is a vinyl backdrop we printed for Lenovo Computers. Big, bold and beautiful.
- They crease easily, you can not iron these out.
- They are often big, heavy, and difficult to store.
- Should not be folded, they should be rolled,
and if you have a 8 x 8 banner, that is an 8 foot roll and it’s not easy to transport.
- Vinyl can have a “cheaper” look to it.
Have a look at the image below, it shows the creases after the vinyl has been folded. While this isn’t terrible, it is far from a professional look, and not recommended for important events or retail applications.
- Polyester can be Fabric is Wrinkle Resistant, Stain Resistant. Crease Resistant. Tear resistant. Fire Retardant.
- Can be folded, and stored in a drawer. In fact and 8′ x 8′ fabric banner can fit in a purse!
- Light weight, very easy to transport and ship.
- Any creases and fold marks can be quickly and easily ironed out.
- Fabric Cloth Banners, in our opinion have a classier look.
- Several different weights available, thin and lightweight for flags, to thick and heavy for step and repeat media walls.
- Beautiful vibrant colours, fantastic imaging
- Can be used on pop up displays
- Oh my Print Solutions specializes in fabric banners, in fact this is our hottest selling item!
- They absorb the camera flash rather than reflecting it.
- More maintenance may be needed, for example you may need to iron or steam creases out before use, especially if stored for a long time.
- Photography, and images look great on fabric, but they are more realistic looking on vinyl.
- Lightweight material means that during installation you can not fully rely on the weight of the banner and you need to stretch it out properly, otherwise you may see wrinkles like the picture below. This was particularly difficult to stretch “We Day’s” fabric banner as it was 40 feet long
- Not ideal for long term outdoor signage.
Transportation and Logistics
Here you can see 4 banners. 2 are vinyl and 2 are fabric. All are the same size 8′ x 12′
Fabric Banners are simply better for touring groups, trade show and conference vendors and more.
Oh my Print Solutions sells an abundance of both vinyl and fabric banners. We suggest vinyl banners for outdoor signage and fabric banners and backdrops for everything else.